As someone who has used Flash since the early days of Macromedia where Flash websites were hot until the last few years when Apple dropped support for it, animation seems to be a very powerful tool that no one still hasn’t?quite figured out where it fits in.
However, animation is recently finding its place in UI?design, especially for apps. But how do we go?about finding that balance between animation and interaction?
Our group had?a mix of people from various?disciplines.?Key takeaways from the discussion:
- Tools used among designers in their workflow and prototyping the animation were Invision, Sketch and Pixate.
- Disney?s 12 animation principles?could be a good starting point to understand various characteristics of animation that can be used even in UI animation.
- A comprehensive brand persona first needs to be in place or set up before coming up with animations for the brand.
- Some designers found??codrops?animation libraries to be quite inspiring.
- Material design & iOS guidelines are great examples. However, one should be mindful while animating and avoid overdoing it.
- Another good way to start this process might be to come up with 5 keywords that describe the brand.
- Interview your audience before and after the animations were implemented to test if there was a change in brand perception.
- It would be important to do an audit on all current animations on the app.