I worked in an engineering?centric organization. Two years ago, my organization started the journey of building up competency in design thinking. The goal is to help our staff deliver solutions or capabilities to our clients that also innovate in productivity. Today, this effort has transited to building of culture within my organization. One of the major initiatives is to partner institution to conduct design thinking course to train our staff. Up to date, two design thinking courses were conducted and participants were expected to apply and adapt this in their projects.
How do I then measure design thinking culture within my organization?
Key Findings from Team.
Measure operating situation before starting the journey to build DT culture, that is two years back, and measure current state of operating situation.
What to measure?
- The volume of bottom-up initiatives within organization
- Senior management?s reception to bottom-up initiatives
- Autonomy to make decisions
- Changes to workspace physical environment
- At which point end users start to be involved in projects
- Number of ideas generated during brainstorming sessions
- Proportion of investment in money and time at front-end planning and prototyping as compared to final solution
People: (More behaviourial)
- Change in the way they engage work or projects
- Willingness of people to work extra or ?ECA?
How to measure?
- Currently, the approach is qualitative through observation and interviewing to get feedback.
Other points to take note:
- Set Key Performance Indicators for DT culture
- Form core teams to champion change within organisation
In the nutshell, this is similar to building any culture within an organisation. It is really about measuring behaviourial change in the people that make up the organisation. People cover senior management, working level and clients who invest in the organisation. One other key takeaway that was inferred from this session would be the importance of the behaviourial changes to lead to productivity innovation organizational goal for the culture to sustain within the organization.